Skip to main content

Nollywood Actor Ifeanyi Kalu Shares his Story


Ifeanyi Kalu: I Joined Nollywood After Enrolling In Emem Isong’s Royal Arts Acting Academy
Excerpts of actor Ifeanyi Kalu‘s new interview with Kore Ogidan of Sunday Scoop
My Background
I am from Imo State and I am the last of five children. I am also the only son. I graduated from the Lagos State University, Lagos, with a degree in Computer Science. I also studied Fashion Designing at the Zaris Fashion and Style Academy. As a kid, I wasn’t really allowed to go out much because my parents were too protective of me and they didn’t want me to be influenced by bad kids. I went to school, came home, did my homework and stayed in the house. Being overly protected didn’t expose me to knowing some things I should have known growing up. Again, that doesn’t mean that they spared the rod whenever I erred. I dreaded being flogged.
My Parents Reaction To My Plan To Become A Actor
Because of how overprotective they were of me, they were a little sceptical about it but eventually, they realised that my talent was speaking for me and they let me go with my dream. Also, being well trained helped me maintain my humility and character and they are proud of me now, though my dad is late.
How I Joined Nollywood
I was introduced to Emem Isong’s Royal Arts Academy in 2011 and I enrolled as a student. There was a call for an audition while I was there and I went for it. I got a role to feature in a television series produced by Uduak Isong. Before then, I knew that I had the talent to be an actor because I was in the drama club in primary and secondary schools. It wasn’t difficult getting into the film industry and that’s not because I had connections but because I had the talent for it. After the series, I acted my first feature film titled, Lagos Cougars.
What did it feel like being on set for the first time?
It felt like heaven on earth; it was amazing. I thought I was in a dream and tried not to misbehave due to the rush of excitement that was flowing through me. I was star struck by some of the people I was on set with.
What have you learnt now that you wish you knew when you got into Nollywood?

I entered the industry without doing adequate research. It is one thing to have the talent to act and it’s another to learn about the craft. When I got in, I believed I’d have a smooth sail because I was a talented actor. But I fast realised that learning the craft is what actually keeps you going and rising in the film industry. It’s important to know that you mustn’t accept just any job because you want to act or be in a movie. Accept to play the role because it’s a good script and a good story. Back then, I would take on any script I got regardless of what the movie was about. Now, I know that it’s important to read the script properly before taking on just any job and that’s what I now do differently.
What were your fears getting into acting?
I was in acting school and it’s a completely different thing from when you are out there in the real world. There was a major fear of the unknown; not knowing how it’d be in the industry. I was afraid of failing and messing things up. There are certain directors who are tough and I just didn’t want to mess up the scenes and roles I was given. But again, these things are very normal. I also feared becoming a celebrity and being popular because of the expectations of people from me. I was never one who wanted my normal status to change because of popularity. When it indeed started happening, it felt weird but I had to get used to it.
What has been the most challenging role you’ve ever played?
I always want to put my best into every role but I believe that every role has been a challenge to me. Most times, when people say a role isn’t challenging, I’m tempted to ask if they put in their all and did their best. If you want to give your best to something, you must go the extra mile to defy the norm. However, the role I found most challenging in the real sense was one for Africa Magic Original Films directed by Pat Oghre-Imobhio, where I played a mute guy. I had to learn sign language in a day but it was made easier because someone came in from a sign language school to teach me.

Leave a comment below & don't forget to click the subscribe button, so you don't ever miss out on latest updates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raped: Nollywood Actress Foluke Daramola

Popular actress and producer, Foluke Daramola, took a bold move some years back when she revealed in an interview with Saturday Beats that she was raped at a young age. And according to the actress, in a recent interview , the horrible experience has largely influenced how she has raised her 13-year-old daughter. “I always enlighten my daughter about how some men can be when it comes to sex. Even when I am not around her, she always cautions men when they try to touch her in a way she is not comfortable with.  She tells me when she feels harassed by a man. She is out of the country at the moment, and people always call me to ask me how I trained her. “In my days as a young woman, I couldn’t discuss s*x with my mum; even till now, I still cannot do that because of the orientation I had as a young girl. If my daughter should get deflowered today, she will tell me because we are friends. I started discussing sex education with my daughter when she was six; I didn’t feel it was too

Father Beats Child Twerking On Social Media

In a video going viral on Social media, a father is seen lashing her daughter for uploading a video of herself twerking in a white pant and bra on her Whatsapp status. The angry father after watching the explicit video took his belt off and dragged her daughter to his room for the severe beatings to serve as a lesson. We are certain she wouldn’t try that thing again in her life and some have praised the father for teaching her a lesson as girls of today are messing up too much on Social media these days. Play video below Leave a comment below & don't forget to click the subscribe button, so you don't ever miss out on latest updates.

One Dollar to Naira Few Hours to 2019 General Election

The over night transformation of one Dollar to Naira has had doubt on the minds of so many Nigerians, as some have taken to social media platforms to exersise their opinion on the sudden change few hours to the country's general election.   However, the fact remains that statistics has shown that the equivalent of a Dollar to Naira is 184.00, as at 22nd February 2019. See google photo below. Leave a comment below & don't forget to click the subscribe button, so you don't ever miss out on latest updates.